We often hear that the education system is irrelevant to real life. At SAE’s Mae Boyer High School in Jerusalem it’s just the opposite!
Boyar recently initiated “Preparation for Life” – a special program for 12th grade students which deals with exactly everything teenagers need to be ready for the day after graduation. For two weeks the school routine for the seniors was stopped, and they participated to a series of meetings, activities and workshops, tackling a different topic every day.
The program was opened by distinguished government leader and Member of the Knesset Avi Dicter. MP Dicter, who has served as Deputy Minister of Defense, Minister of Public Security, Minister of Home Front Defense, and the Director of Shin Bet—the Israel Security Agency, provided the students with excellent advice for life, while recounting anecdotes from his rich career and varied career in the security, political and personal arena.
As part of the preparatory course, students were exposed to a variety of topics relevant to life, such as a career day, in which they will experience working in a variety of places of their choice including:·
- A work day at the Weizmann Institute, the Supreme Court or a courier company;
- Volunteer Day, during which students can volunteer at a number of non-profits, from packing food baskets for the needed to assisting the staff at Shaarei Tsedek Hospital;
- A financial day that focused on issues such as budget management, loans and savings, capital market, pay,·
- A Body and Soul Day which described approaches to a healthy lifestyle, introduced breathing techniques, guided imagination, and yoga;
- A Career choice day, and,
- A Relationships Day that dealt with the subject of sexuality and relationships from a variety of aspects.
During the “Preparation for Life” program students met with their educational team from the beginning of the year, with significant individuals in Israeli society, including families of mourning, IDF officers, people with disabilities and more.
The unique project, which took place for the first time at Boyar School, joins a long line of educational and social programs being held at the renowned high school, as part of its goal to equip students with a relevant toolbox of experiences and skills to tackle tomorrow’s challenges.